Karnishina Natalia Gennadievna, Doctor of historical sciences, professor, sub-department of history of Russia, state and law, Penza State University (40 Krasnaya street, Penza, Russia), email@example.com
Background. The article analyzes the place and role of the institution of governorship in the Russian empire in the second half of XIX century. The investigation of the genesis of the legal and social status of a governor in Russia during the period of the second half of XIX century allows to reveal trends and perspectives of deve¬lopment of this institution in modern Russia.
Materials and methods. The research was conducted on the basis of archival sources, statistic facts, published and unpublished memories of contemporaries. The author conducted the investigation using the comparative-historical and statistic methods.
Results. The main task was to conduct the analysis of the institution of governorship in the management structure in the Russian empire. The author analyzed the effectiveness of governors’ work during the period of preparation and conduction of large reforms in the country.
Conclusions. The author researched the genesis of the legal status of provincial governors. On the basis of the study of records the researcher drew a social portrait of a provincial governor. The methods and forms of governors’ work in offices and their place in the bureaucracy system of the Russian empire were studied.
1. Spisok grazhdanskim chinam pervykh chetyrekh klassov na 1853 god [List of civil ranks of first four classes in 1853]. Saint-Petersburg, 1854, part 21, 348 p.
2. Rossiyskiy gosudarstvennyy istoricheskiy arkhiv (RGIA) [Russian State Historical Archive (RGIA)]. F. 1381. Op. 2. D. 329.
3. Tsentral'nyy gosudarstvennyy istoricheskiy arkhiv g. Moskvy (TsGIA g. Moskvy) [Cent¬ral State Historical Archive of Moscow (TsGIA)]. F. 54. Op. 176. D. 2725.
4. RGIA. F. 1378. Op. 1. D. 316.
5. RGIA. F. 1385. Op. 1. D. 41.
6. RGIA. F. 651. Op. 1. D. 936.
7. Haxthausen A. Studies on the interior of Russia. Chicago, 1972, 379 p.
8. Mironov B. N. Sotsial'naya istoriya Rossii perioda imperii (XVIII – nachalo XX v.) [Social history of Russia in the imperial period (XVIII – early XX centuries)]. Saint-Petersburg, 1999, vol. 2, 319 p.
9. RGIA. F. 1275. Op. 1. D. 109.
10. Spisok grazhdanskim chinam pervykh shesti klassov po starshinstvu (1844, 1848–1858) [List of civil ranks of first six classes by seniority (1844, 1848–1858)]. Saint-Petersburg, 1844–1858, 412 p.
11. RGIA. F. 1275. Op. 1. D. 109.
12. Korf P. L. Blizhayshie nuzhdy mestnogo upravleniya [Immediate needs of local self-government]. Saint-Petersburg, 1888, 324 p.
13. Gosudarstvennyy arkhiv Rossiyskoy Federatsii (GARF) [State Archive of the Russian Federation (GARF)]. F. 677. Bk. 1. D. 487.
14. GARF. F. 677. Op. 1. D. 487.
15. RGIA. F. 1380. Op. 1. D. 154.
16. RGIA. F. 1385. Op. 1. D. 52.
17. Fadeev A. M. Vospominaniya 1790–1867 [Memories 1790–1867]. Odessa, 1897, vol. 1, 298 p.
18. RGIA. F. 1381. Op. 1. D. 606.